As we head into the silly season, we think it’s more important than ever to support local and help businesses receive a much-needed boost. Here are a few practical ways to support your local businesses today:
- Special occasion? Check in with your favourite local stores to see if they’re open online and delivering. If not, consider buying a gift card that can be redeemed later. Even a small amount makes a difference.
- Get your stocking stuffers and Christmas gifts from local shops or if you can try buying local “experiences” such as tickets to a local animal farm or a meal voucher at a local eatery.
- Social media is powerful! Sharing, liking, and posting about your favourite local business is free and will help keep them visible. You could also share these brands with social media influencers who may have a much larger reach. Write a positive review or tell your friends about little shops, brands, and restaurants you’ve tried and enjoyed lately and encourage them to visit too.
- If you have the time, consider using your skills or expertise to help another business out, even if it’s with some advice or supporting them a few hours a week.
- Buy your groceries from local shops.
- Tired of cooking? Find out which restaurants in your area are open and delivering. This not only supports the restaurant but also keeps delivery drivers employed. Why not get your Christmas lunch delivered by a local restaurant your family loves?
Like Martin Luther King once said, “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.” Whether you are leveraging your social media platforms, buying a gift card, or giving some business advice, these are small things that could make a big difference.